Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sorta like a dragon, I guess...

When we were in China, I had this wonderful fruit that I could not identify. It was white with little black seeds in it. It reminded me most of a kiwi.


When we got home, I did some research, and found out it was called a dragon fruit. Dragon fruit only grow in tropical climes, and they have a very short growing season. So if you see them in your market, not only are you lucky, you will need to pay a pretty penny to get one. They cost 10USD/lb where I live, and they can way over 1/2 pound a piece, so two will probably run you about 15USD.


I found them last week at my local Wegman's. There were only *4* in the basket, so I snagged two. A man was standing next to me, and started following me around. He finally got the courage to ask me what they were (there was no label.) I explained, and told him that I wouldn't buy them unless he knew he'd like it because of the price.

I enjoy cutting them in half, and then scooping out the flesh with a spoon, but when I gave some to my kids, I cut the fruit out like you would a melon.


Here's a picture of the ones I bought. As you can see, this flesh is pink (they call it red, but it's really fuscia). The ones I had in China were white, but they also come in kind of a tangerine color.


Delicious!

1 comment:

trashalou said...

Hey! the ones we had here this Summer were only the white flesh kind - not fair we want the fuschia ones!

However in discussion with my two (5&8) we decided they were just pretty bland. Love, love. love the colour of the skin though!.