Sunday, September 30, 2007

Knitting class

I knit. I knit pretty well. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm good. You could wear my stuff in public and not want to hide. But I have gaps in my knowledge, and my technique stinks. So I thought "ok, I'll take a knitting class." Smart thing to do, right?

Yes...in theory. Last week was the first week. We did casting on. Now if you don't knit, let me tell you there are a lot of ways to cast on. This was not a particular method that I was familiar with, so I was happy to learn it. But we did it for two hours. That was a bit long for me, although there were clearly people who need it!

She said that we'd do more cast on next time, and then do some knitting. I haven't decided what yarn to take, but I think I'll pick a color and knit something for one of the kids.

I don't want to take my ISE5 project. I've finished the first seafoam portion and I'm going to start the mock cables tomorrow. I did a sample, blocked it, and it looked good. So I started again, and I'm off and running. I just have a month to finish and get it in the mail for my secret pal.

Back to my class...I'm really lucky. I have a nice teacher, and she seems smart. She's pretty easy-going, too. Of course, she is preschool teacher, so I think she'd have to be! Hopefully she'll help me hold my needles a little better to become a more efficient knitter, and help me with fixing the booboos. I can unknit a row, but if it's farther down, I'm in big trouble.

Enough for tonight. I have insomnia, but someone is coming early in the morning to work on the house, so I won't be able to sleep in. Must try to get some rest....

No comments: